How to commit blasphemy in Pakistan? By Noman Sajjad
21 Nov 2014
In order to commit blasphemy in Pakistan, it is necessary to be from a religion other than Islam. In this case, a common Muslim is a self-appointed law enforcer and can be designated as a temporary judge who can decide whether the heinous crime been committed or not. A contract based temporary forces can be formed in the form of angry mob who blindly believe their fellow Muslim with no any evidence required.
Here are some of the situations that can make you a blasphemer:
1. Discussing religion with Muslim Pakistani citizen because if you dare to disagree with them. Be prepared to deal with the agony as your words might have offended others as you have no right to express your beliefs openly.
2. Discarding a visiting card as a doctor in Hyderabad did that and landed himself in serious trouble by an annoying pharmaceutical salesman. The salesman’s name included Mohammad in it.
3. By making minor spelling mistakes, doesn’t matter if unintentional. Last year a teacher while checking exam papers found profane content in an answer sheet and reported to Police. The police didn’t reveal the content as it would be blasphemous act too. Later it was revealed that it was a matter of bad spelling.
4. Writing a novel named Blasphemy. A hefty protest was held enforcing for the trial of author as she had been discourteous to religious intellectuals and spiritual leaders.
6. Denying someone a drink of water. Asia Bibi, a Christian lady, denied her co-workers a drink of water. That woman was bombarded with several allegations in return. Furthermore, the native religious leader blamed her of blasphemy.
7. Dumping the garbage as most of the minorities are in menial level jobs, one has to be careful while working as a maid/servant and be watchful of what is being dumped and many live in eternal fear about what might be found in their garbage can as has happened in Rimsha Masih's case.
8. Get yourself indulge in a business deal with a Muslim or work under a conservative fundamentalist owner. You are lucky if you come out safe and sound, else personal scores are settled in the name of blasphemy law in Pakistan. A couple has been killed and burned to death recently because of mere daily wages settlement.
9. Raise your voice for the repealing of blasphemy law and you will end up as a blasphemer. You‘d be fortunate if you survive as Salman Taseer and Shahbaz Bhatti, the renowned political leaders have been murdered because of raising their voice against blasphemy law.
10. Lastly live at the mercy of the superior citizens of Pakistan.